Really, I don’t know why the AP sucks, I just know that they do.
I imagine they suck as a result of several factors, some of which include:
- They are too big and have too many employees
- They are more concerned with breaking news/exclusive stories than they are with accuracy.
- They have poor proofing skills
- They have a poor grasp of what is fact
- They have a poor memory of current events.
Case in point, this article:
I have uploaded a screenshot to demonstrate their error:
The article states in reference to Al Gore:
The 2004 Democratic candidate for president was asked if he was concerned the 24-hour news and information channel, called Current, would be perceived as having a political slant.
Now, I would like to think a journalist, who is much more likely to align herself with the Democratic party than the Republican party, would at least know who was the freaking candidate in 2004, and who was the candidate in 2000!
Get with it, AP. And by “it” I mean good quality articles that are authored by smart journalists, proofread by smart proofreaders, and given the green light only after a full review by smart editors.